Developing ideas: The meditative method

Today during class time we were developing our ideas more. There were 3 methods of idea development that we touched on and we all needed to pick one. 

I chose the meditative method. The method is based on a short meditation where the center of attention is the project. After doing the 5 minute meditation I had to write and draw everything that came to my mind. There were a few new ideas that I have not considered earlier and I wrote it all down in this drawing below. 

 My mind was mostly around the small boy who will become my main character and the grandma. I was thinking about how the family would generally look. I figured that the grandma needs to have her edges very round, therefore the focus is on her wisdom. This is why I think she should have her hair in a bun. 

A new idea that came to me is having a dinosaur as a pet. I know children tend to be fascinated by dinosaurs, therefore I think creating a dinosaur would be something that would interest my target audience. I thought about the society I am creating and the concept in general and I think it would be interesting if this all was happening on a different planet where dinosaurs never went extinct. 
This brings me to a book that could be a great inspiration for me, this book is called "Little Prince" and it is written and illustrated by a French author Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. 
"The Little Prince" is a philosophical novel for children. It is beautifully illustrated and there are many planets created in this book. I think it is a great inspiration to think about the concept of my cartoon. The approach the author had to creating planets is very interesting because those planets would not make a lot of sense to an adult, but for children they are not very difficult to imagine. I need to keep that in mind. Children tend to have great imagination and something that does not make a lot of sense for an adult, may make sense to a child. 

Comments

  1. Le Petit Prince is an interesting research element that would be better served by you posting about this on its own and examining the influence it had on other illustrators/animators in terms of the visual influence and the narrative. This way you could draw in a whole other collection of research elements that may help to develop the look and concept of your characters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts