Class exercises

 Some time ago in class we did two exercises that I completely forgot to post about. This post will be a quick recap of the tasks and how I have approached them. 

The first exercise was to draw 9 circles and create small images - sketches with things that represent my project. Under each circle I had to write a word that explains what is in the image. This exercise was there to help to connect words with images and see and understand the meaning behind images. 

I chose the words: fear, stress, anxiety, judgement, help, night, pressure, sadness and pretending. I have added illustrations that sort of explain the word I have written. This activity reminded me a little bit of the game where a participant needs to illustrate a word or a phrase for the rest to guess. Making those little drawings really helped me realize how much power and how many words are in simple illustrations. This was definitely a task that helped me see how I can illustrate words. 

The next task was to find a photograph or an illustration and change its meaning (message) by using images and words. I am in quarantine at the moment, therefore I was not able to get a newspaper and take an image from there, but I found an image in my first term's EAP book. The image had two fish tanks and a fish jumping from one to the other. It was escaping everything she knew for a new fish tank. 
I had to change the message of the illustration, therefore I took a fine liner and drew piranhas in the second fish tank. 
I changed the message from a positive message about changing the perspective to a 'think before you jump' message. I think I have illustrated it quite literally and I really like that about the image. I like that it is literal and the fish that jumped from their fish tank were not thinking before literally jumping from one to another. 
I think I took words and manipulated them so they fit well with the illustration. I think manipulating words and using its double meaning is very interesting and I think I did a great job with this exercise. 






Comments

  1. Really like what you did with both of these exercises and you used text well to describe your idea. How might this have an effect on your work for the set project?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts