Initial sketches - mom

 During my project sign off tutorial my tutor advised me to create a couple of very quick sketches of my character that I mentioned in one of my researches. 

I wanted to create a mom - a queen, that is a very creative creature. My tutor told me to take my sketchbook out and just make really rough, quick sketches of what I can see when I think about this character. This exercise is going to help me create options for myself. I tend to get really focused on one idea, that I do not create different options. 

I took out my sketchbook and created 6 sketches of an artistic queen, below every sketch, I have added a commentary on what do I think about it. 

The first sketch I did, I have definitely created a mom, but she does look very put together, which kid of argues with the artistic vision I have of her. I feel like if I took our the brush from behind her ear and took the paint away, no one could say that she really is an artist. However, I like how the face is very mom-like. I think that is something to take away from this drawing. 
The next one is definitely less "put together" which gives out an artistic atmosphere, however I really do not like the face of the character. It looks male and young. I think this is something to work on. I also do not think this sketch gives out the artistic personality enough. It should be even more implied in the way the queen looks like. 
I really like this sketch because it shows the artistic side of the character and it also looks like a mom, because the character is not very young, has messy hair to imply that moms are always in a hurry and I like the brushes and pencils in her hair. I think she also looks very friendly because of her chubby structure and head shape, I think it only adds to the appeal of the character. 
The next character is less human-like. It has a very big, rectangular head and very curly hair tied in two messy buns. I think this character is really appealing and it definitely looks artistic. The hair is perfect for placing brushes or pencils in it and I really like how the face turned out. The nose and the eyes have something in them that draws attention. I also think that it is great, it is less of a human character. This looks more cartoony like that. 
With the next one, I tried to experiment with the artistic atmosphere around the particular character. I made this mom more teenage-like and more "cool". I think she came out a little too young than I wanted her to, but in general I think it is an interesting idea, not necessarily for children from age 6 to 9. I think it is a good idea for the teenager in the family though. It is surely interesting. 


The next one is, once again, me experimenting with creating creatures that are not human-like. This creature does look interesting for sure, it does look artistic and like a mom as well. I think it is a very creative approach to creating a character, I am not sure if I want to go in this direction, but I am not closing this door completely, I might want to work on something completely out of this world. It is a little bit more difficult because for creatures that have nothing in common with humans, there are no references online that could possibly help me. It definitely would be a greater challenge that might pay off. 

I think sketching those characters was a very interesting task for me. It definitely opened my eyes for different options and approaches I can take with this project. I think it is important to stay openminded and inspired. The fact that I like a certain character as it is right now, does not mean it is going to stay like this. Those characters will evolve and that is a beauty of character development. 

Comments

  1. These are really good sketches, working this way is just as useful as making notes - it is also a great way to work through ideas and refine what you are aiming for. This is a technique you might use for each character. The next stage could be you photocopying these sketches and then adding a different colour palette to each one to see which works the best for the personality of each character. Create a colour palette for each character too, one that reflects who they are and their role in the story. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts